Baby, It’s Cold Outside

It has been a cold (and I mean cold) December and January. There are only a few things in my life that benefit from it being so cold out, and my sewing is one of them.  I finished all of my self-imposed Christmas sewing projects.  I was able to finish baby gifts for three baby showers.  My kids and husband got some new pajamas.  And my machines are dialed in and ready to rock.

My teaser from last time was my tree skirt.  I got it finished with time to enjoy it this Christmas season.  I love how it turned out!

My kids were the recipients of some new pajamas on Christmas eve, as was my husband.  That’s our tradition at this point: pajamas and a new book on Christmas eve.  My husband is not in the pictures online.  The picture with him needed to be censored.  Let’s just say my adult male pattern making skills need some work…

I used the Alex and Anna PJ pattern from Peek-a-Boo pattern shop for the kids.  It’s my favorite pajama pattern for knits.  Now that I’ve made it several times, it is quick and easy.  I may or may not have finished these on the 23rd of December.

I also made a few A&A PJs for baby gifts in size 3 month:

The baby shower gifts did not stop there!  I whipped up a few Lullaby Line baby gowns and matching hats, as well as burp cloths, bibs, and a car seat cover.  My sister is expecting her first and quite a few of the things I sewed were for her. She raises snakes and lizards as a hobby.  You might notice a theme with some of these gifts.

I think that about wraps up my sewing for the last few months.  I’ve been productive with the weather being so cold!  I also managed to find time to study for my Academy of General Dentistry Fellowship exam (I passed!), and will become a Fellow at the ceremony this summer.  I am excited about the award, but the ceremony is in Vegas…in July…enough said.

In other cold weather news, the boys went downhill skiing at our local ski hill for the first time last week and loved it!  They also started swim lessons.  They have been busy boys!

I think that’s about all I’ve got for cold weather news!  Happy New Year!

~Ingrid

 

New Headboard!

Have you seen those cool headboards on Pinterest?  Earlier this summer, my Pinterest feed had several examples of awesome, padded headboards with tutorials.

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 6.17.56 AMpadded headboard exampleAfter seeing a few, I knew I needed one.  I found some awesome floral fabric on Fabric.com, purchased it, and then let it sit on my fabric shelf for a few months.

After awhile, I decided our bedroom needed a makeover.  It was looking a little drab, to say the least.  Old bedroomWe’re pretty simplistic when it comes to furniture and decorating, but this was getting a little old.  So off I went to Lowe’s to pick out some new paint colors.  I didn’t even realize our walls were gray until I started painting the new paint on!

cream against grayI even painted the ceiling and took down the old ceiling fan.IMG_0657And added an accent wall to make the headboard pop!

IMG_0667At this point, the headboard was already made, but I’ll get to that soon.IMG_0670New ceiling fan!  Good bye 1980’s ceiling fan!IMG_0668Our awesome new paint colors!

Okay, now onto what you’ve been waiting for: the headboard!  I could do this as a tutorial, but I’ll walk you through the steps with pictures and minimal captioning.

IMG_0942The finished product.  So happy with it, even if my mom says it looks a little hippy.IMG_0685First things first, deciding on the dimensions of the headboard, and shaping the corners.  I used 1/2″ plywood for this project.IMG_0686Cut your first corner, and then just flip it over and draw a line for the opposite.  I used a jig saw to make the cuts.IMG_0688Finished cutting the top of the headboard.IMG_0687Next I marked where I was going to put the tufting, and drilled some large pilot holes to make threading the buttons easy.IMG_0689Time to pad the headboard!  I used a cheap foam mattress topper, and covered it with batting, and then stapled it in place.IMG_0690Cut off the excess…it doesn’t have to be pretty at this point.  I repeated the process with the fabric, but on a clean work surface.  IMG_0936Don’t mind the legs on the headboard just yet…we’ll get to that.  I apparently forgot to take a picture of the covered headboard back, but you can see how much I overlapped the fabric here.

Next I added the covered buttons for tufting.  (I also forgot to take pictures of this!)  I used upholstery thread, waxed it so that it would stay better, and threaded my covered buttons through the pre-drilled pilot holes.  John helped me staple them in place on the back.IMG_0934Then we added the 2×4 legs to the headboard.  You could also just hang your headboard on the wall if you didn’t want to add legs and attach it to your bed frame.IMG_0937I covered the legs with a little foam…you know, so it wouldn’t knock against the wall, if you know what I mean 😉IMG_0938Finally, I covered the raw edges with an old sheet, just to make it look pretty.  Not that anybody will see it…IMG_0940John attached it to the bed frame with a couple of screws with washers.  It’s pretty darn secure.IMG_0942Yay!  It’s finished!IMG_0941You can find more detailed tutorials on how to make your own padded headboard by searching the web or on Pinterest.  As far as expenses go, I think I spent $50 on fabric, $25 on wood and screws, another $25 on batting and foam, and $15 on buttons and upholstery thread.  Not too shabby for a new headboard!

Happy crafting!  Cheers!

~Ingrid